Sunday, July 7, 2013

PaPa's Chair, PaPa's Prayer

often times I lay and wonder
in that misty twilight sleep 
I pray 
my soul to keep...
but the sun in two shall rise 
and I wipe sleep from my eyes 
to hear another song of morning 
sing from nature manifest in wing. 
the mountains purple majesty 
and amber hue stained clouds of pink 
the sweetness that a morning brings 
a nature celebration symphony 
a gracious thank you and 
I breathe...
This is real and wonderful 
beyond my explanation 
Nestled up against the Smoky Mountains
embraced by earthen greens 
the spirit of my father's people 
join in song with every living thing. 
I am here today because they survived 
the holocaust, 
they were denied but would not give up, 
would not give in, 
So as I gently, gracefully rock 
I breathe...



I wrote this poem while rocking on a rocking chair overlooking the Great Smoky Mountains last July. It was a glorious time. A special vacation I planned and took my daughter's, son-in-law, grand-babies and Steve. It truly was a dream come true. Not only were we surrounded by trees, mountains, sometimes bears, and most heavenly of all was we were in the clouds. Yes, we were high enough that the clouds at time circled us and enfolded us in a heavenly embrace. 

This particular morning, I was the only one awake. Safe, silent, solitude. All I could hear was an occasional bird calling out across the ravine. It was a sanctuary. I was at peace with the spirit of my father's people. My people. 

Tonight during our segment of "Be Inspired, Be Transformed" I was called upon to read Matthew 6. What was so important about Matthew 6? Needless to say, I failed the calling. I didn't read it. I will read it during our "Mission Trip In Your Own Backyard." I realized as the final seconds of the show counted down why I was suppose to read it. You see, I have been leaving out the most important thing during our delivery of His word. His prayer. 

Week after week, we proclaim His word, we sing praises to the King. We tell people how they can become closer, but, we forget one special thing. We fail to sit at His feet, before him like a child asking PaPa to tell the story again. Tell us again, what are we suppose to do? Matthew 6 leads us to the Lord's Prayer. The Lord's prayer...we have been praying our prayer, our interpretations, our understanding. Have I forgotten to share His prayer? This prayer was also delivered by our PaPa while reclining in His chair as He anticipated taking His rightful seat next to His Father. 
 PaPa's Prayer 
Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your Kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins,
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom,
the power and the glory are yours.
Now and for ever.
Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment